Welcome to Our Lady of Lourdes Music Ministry!
Here at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish Family we are very blessed to have many wonderful musicians! However, we can always use more! We have many opportunities for you to get involved! If you would like to get involved in the music ministry, please fill out the sign-up form below for Jody.
The cantor/psalmist/song leader is a trained and competent singer who leads the prayer in sung prayer. The cantor/psalmist proclaims the Word of God in the psalm sung between readings and has a role in other responsorial singing. The song leader uses voice and gesture to guide the singing of the assembly. Limited training is available and required for new cantors/psalmists/song leaders.
Choirs are a part of the assembly of the faithful with a distinctive ministry. Choirs lead the people in sung prayer by reinforcing or enhancing the sacred song of the congregation. (Music in Catholic Worship, #36) At other times the choir may offer special music for the purpose of prayerful meditation. At Lourdes, we are blessed with a number of wonderful choirs:
- Alleluia Attitude: Family "praise" choir for all abilities and all ages. They rehearse on Mondays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. during the school year and one hour before Mass. They sing two Masses per month throughout the year. Their director is Susan Shefka-Peeters (920-265-5210)
- Angelus: Contemporary ensemble of teen and adult singers and instrumentalists. They rehearse one hour before Mass and sing two Masses per month September to June and at special liturgies throughout the year. Their director is Lory Wieseckel (920-412-0211)
- Lourdes Choir: Traditional SATB choir open to all teens and adults. They rehearse on Tuesdays, 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and one hour before Mass. They sing two Masses per month September to June and at special liturgies throughout the year. Their director is Jody Strnad (920-680-0819).
- Combined Music Ministry: The entire parish music ministry team comes together to lead the music for major liturgical celebrations. Rehearsals are set up through the Music Director.
- Funeral Choir: Adult choir serving music ministry needs at parish funeral liturgies. They rehearse one hour before the funeral liturgy. Their director is Jody Strnad (920-680-0819)
- Summer Choir: When the Angelus and Lourdes Choir are on summer break, this "unofficial" choir sings at three Sunday Masses, once in June, July, and August. Everyone is most welcome! (Sing once or sing all summer!) Rehearse 45 minutes before Mass. Their director is Jody Strnad (920-680-0819).
The pipe organ has long been held in high esteem as the traditional instrument in the church because of its unique ability to add to the church's ceremonies and powerfully lift up the spirit to higher things. (Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, #120) We at Our Lady of Lourdes are very blessed with a beautiful Casavant Organ! The needs of contemporary music in today's liturgy have also raised the piano as a primary instrument for liturgy. Both of these instruments lead and support the singing of the assembly.
Additionally, other instruments (strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion, etc.) are used in ensemble to provide energy and color to the music of the liturgy.